Friday, May 15-
We finally arrived in Berlin and made our way to the Transit Loft with suitcases in hand and headed to the bus and then transferred to the M4 which is kind of like a subway but it is above the ground. After unpacking, some of us went to Alexanderplatz to change our money to euros at the S-Bahn (train station). Right next to it is the Fountain of Friendship where I happened to sit in a lot of bird poop. : ( For dinner we headed to the Prater Biergarten (Beer Garden) where we tried German beer. I had a drink that tasted like sparkling raspberry beer! After dinner we headed back to the hotel and on the way some of the group stopped to get gelato but I got hot chocolate because it was FREEZING. One of the weirdest things about Berlin is that you can drink alcohol wherever you want. Trains, subways, street, shops… doesn’t matter. I guess it is just one big party everyday!
Saturday, May 16-
Today we were supposed to go on a bike tour but it was raining so we pushed that back to a later date. Instead we headed to the Annie Leibovitz photo exhibit. From there, part of the group decided to separate and wander to West Berlin. In West Berlin there is a big shopping center and a plaza with a lot going on including break dancers. I got currywurst for lunch and then we shopped around looking at what the stores of Berlin had to offer. Of course we went into H&M! After, we went back to the hotel before we all headed out to a small carnival located in a park. At the carnival I had a crepe with Nutella, which was soooooooo good! Some of the German boys were talking to us, and turns out Mr. Freeman said they were asking to marry us : )
Me with part of the group outside of the Annie Leibovitz photo exhibit
photo taken by: Kevin McMahon
S-bahn in Zoologischer Garten
Sunday, May 17-
I think my legs are going to fall off. I have had enough walking to last me about a year. Today we went on Discover Berlin Walking Tour that lasted at least four hours. I learned a lot about the different buildings of the East and West side of Berlin and we saw the Holocaust Memorial. The memorial has a really amazing design. There are a bunch of cement boxes all different sizes and you walk through it and get totally lost. The artist did not want anyone to know what his interpretation of the memorial is. It is up to you to decide. The tour ended at Checkpoint Charlie. The guide told us the European police might be changing their uniforms to look more like the United States police because apparently we look more official and “scary” compared to the green outfits they have! We had lunch right at the Checkpoint Charlie and I found SUBWAY! So I had my usual turkey and cheese sub and it was delicious : ) (although don't worry..the cheese was dutch..so it was still foreign) Then we walked some more to Potsdamer Platz where we talked with two girls at Dunkin Donuts (that place is everywhere here) who have lived in Berlin their whole lives and they were giving us suggestions for the project we have to do. They said Berliners love to talk to people who speak English because it gives them a chance to practice the language. Jenny and I then found the U2 and made it all the way back to the hotel by ourselves where we are taking a break for the day. Tomorrow we are hopefully going to find our subjects!
Looks like you are having a great time...love you! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Mom
ReplyDelete